Friday, May 26, 2017


We continued our investigation of sea turtles this week. Throughout our research, we came to learn that 6 out of the 7 species of sea turtles are endangered. We were particularly sad to learn that the reason for this is because of human activity. Students drew pictures to show their understanding of why sea turtles are endangered. On the following day, we did some reflective writing to express how this information makes us feel. Our young kindergarteners are incredibly compassionate and caring. They were deeply affected by this information and are inspired to save the sea turtles! Thanks to one of our particularly passionate students, we already have a Save the Sea Turtle Club underway :)

 "I am shocked. I learned that sea turtles get eaten by humans. Why do people throw so much garbage on the beach? Why do people throw plastic bags in the ocean?"

"I want to save sea turtles. I wouldn't want to be born on the beach with all this garbage." 

 "I really do not like people making turtle shells into jewelry." 

"I feel sad and angry. I don't understand why people are eating sea turtle eggs." 

"I am surprised that sea turtles sometimes eat plastic bags."

"I am going to do a Save the Sea Turtle party."  


I hope your weekends are filled with inspiring conversations about sea turtles! We have some amazing young conservationists and budding biologists on our hands!

Miss Roberts